This Blog

In this blog, an international student from Japan used to write about what she felt lovely in Ann Arbor (A2), Michigan. Although she graduated in 2007 and went back to Japan, she still loves A2 and continues to write her recent situation, comparing to her life in A2.

↓This is a bilingual blog
日本語版 (Japanese ver.)

↓More about this blog?
How to Read?

About Me

My photo
I graduated from The University of Michigan (umich) in 2007, and now work as a TV reporter in Japan. I went to the U.S. in Jan. 2005 to study communication - it was the first time for me to go abroad.
I got an A.A. degree in speech communication in California, and B.A. degree in psychology at umich (+ music minor).

Monday, July 9, 2007

How to Read?

This blog deals with a pretty easy topic. I however would like to explain this blog further so that you can have a better understanding of it :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Index *

  1. 1. What is A2 ?

  2. 2. RSS

  3. 3. Links and Shops/School Facilities Introduced in This Blog

  4. 4. Compatibility between English ver. and Japanese ver. + My English

  5. 5. Description of Categories

  6. 6. Contact Form

--------------------------------------------------------------------------


1. What is A2?

I like this abbreviation! Yes, A2 is an abbreviation of the city name of "
Ann Arbor" (there are two As, ha!). Ann Arbor is a lovely city in Michigan; it's about 45 minutes by a car from Detroit. We can make it to the border with Canada within 1 hour.

umichigan ←mitten-shaped
Lower Peninsula of Michigan

Ann Arbor is well known as the location of
University of Michigan (umich), which is my school; we can see many university buildings in the downtown area. Oh, wait... I can't even define where the border between downtown and the university is 8O

While there are some new tall buildings, many historic buildings are also found around the campus. Some of them are church, some of the others are university buildings, and some students' housings are also historical structures: I'm one of the students who live in a historic district. Cheap rent ♪ (←maybe not because it is old, but because we have no access to kitchen... :cry: )

Also, A2 is richly endowed with nature: it holds a lot of luxuriant green trees, which always make me relaxed. Every day, I see many animals on and off campus. Squirrels are the most common, and sometimes I find raccoons and rabbits in the middle of the night.

I have a lot more to say, especially about umich - it is really a wonderful school. But I will keep it for blog entries ;)

Link:
The City of Ann Arbor (Official)
The University of Michigan (Official)


2. RSS

If you want to receive the latest updates, subscribing to my
RSS feed would be a great way! You are notified (e.g. on your desktop, browser, etc...) whenever I update this blog. (That's what I heard, but I don't actually know very well about RSS...)

3. Links in This Blog

Most of the links in this blog are from
Wikipedia.

The reasons why I use it are its broadness, conciseness, and familiarity. In other words, it covers a lot of terms and languages (including English and Japanese), provides general information quickly, and is well known to every one:idea: I'm not using the links to spare myself the trouble of explaining every word by myself.

I think, however, that Wikipedia is not completely a reliable source of information because anyone can edit the articles on that. I will try to read the articles in my links, including websites other than Wikipedia, before I link them; but they may be edited after I read, so I cannot be responsible for the information in the website linked by this blog. Sorry.

Also, the links and shops/school facilities introduced in the body texts are there because of my pure but arbitrary hope for helping readers' better understanding of A2. Entries will be written from the author's subjective point of view, but that's why there is no interference from outside concerning commercial interests or something like that. I will be meticulously careful about the information I publish, but if you have any concerns, please contact me through the contact form located at the bottom of this entry.

4. Compatibility between English ver. and Japanese ver. + my English

Mostly, I write English ver. first and translate it to Japanese. I try to retain compatibility between English ver. and Japanese ver. considering the readers who are studying Japanese. But the compatibility is not perfectly retained when literal translation is apparently unnatural and the parts are not so significant such as wretched jokes, etc... I also add/prune information according to need.

As you know, English is not my native language; so my writing may be hard to read. I apologize for that and try as much as I can to write better. Yea, my ability to acquire a language is REMARKABLY low... When I was 15, I was interested in Japanese literature and told my father that I wanted to study literature/humanities: he, a mathematics teacher, gave me a comment that my brain was for math/science :roll: (yea, it was certainly true that mathematics was easier for me than Japanese, English, and history...) Until I entered college, I did not really like English and thought "People can learn English and study abroad IF THEY WANT TO (but I will never do so♪)." I however felt like studying communication, which was best to be studied in the U.S., and finally came all the way to this country. I tend to be attracted by what I am weak in... :oops:

I know I'm getting off the point... Anyway, tell me when you find any parts which are apparently wrong.

5. Description of Categories

  • umich - Facilities at The University of Michigan, such as library and computing sites.

  • nature - Plants, animals, etc...

  • shops - Coffee shops, fast food chains, restaurants, grocery stores, etc...

  • people - People I've seen in A2 area (not about specific people close to me).

  • comparison between Japan and the U.S. - From my own personal viewpoint...

  • personal matters - Any posts that do not describe something lovely in A2, including my explanation of this blog, my thoughts, and what happened around me.




6. Contact Form

Finally, here is the contact form if you need to talk to me PERSONALLY (If you are not sending a personal/secret message, please use the "Say your words" section bellow).


Powered by SHINOBI.JP







I hope you enjoy this blog!! :)


No comments: